Reevesey's recommended reading

Tuesday 1 December 2009

World AIDS Day - remembering absent friends

Today is a day of remembrance for me, as every World AIDS day is. I came out twenty five years ago when AIDS wasn't even talked about so many of my gay friends that I grew up with or people on the Nottingham gay scene that I knew like I were oblivious to this awful disease.

Over the years I have lost friends and colleagues to AIDS and it is always a constant reminder to me how important sex education is, which is why I get angry when people in influential positions such as the Pope who said "don't use condoms - even to prevent the spread of Aids".

Not only is he ill informed when he went on to say "the traditional teaching of the Church has proven to be the only failsafe way to prevent the spread of HIV/Aids".

It is such a load of crap, condoms can and do help to prevent the spread of AIDS and HIV.

So, please take a moment today and remember those no longer with us because of this awful disease.


My thoughts today are especially with the family and friends of Trevor and Jason, two very good and close friends who I shared time with in Torquay.

Trevor gave me a job at The Double Two Night Club and Summerlands Hotel nearly twenty years ago now and it really was the best year of my life topped only by meeting Roger one night, at the very same nightclub.

Jason was a really good friend who many people rejected and warned me against getting close to, his HIV+ status meant nothing, it was his friendship I valued.

I miss you both.

1 comment:

cleondann said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts with Thumbnails