Reevesey's recommended reading

Tuesday 19 January 2010

Probably the best guest house in Britain

I know that will set off a few folk who will quite obviously feel their own guest house is the best, but I will argue the point with anyone.

For those who don't know I spent twelve years in the service industry including a spell for Jarvis hotels and a couple of independents, my current job takes me around some guest houses, hotels and bed & breakfasts as well.

Last Friday I was due to be at the Hawick town hall meeting where Nick Clegg and Michael Moore MP were speaking, and listening and then on the Saturday I was speaking and attending the South of Scotland Liberal Democrats conference at Hawick Rugby Club.

So, I duly googled for accommodation for the Friday night and came up with The Bank Guest House.

The photos on the online gallery looked nice, as often they do, however when you arrive at the secret entrance, it feels very much like Platform 9 and 3/4 at Kings Cross, there is a huge wooden door, a number 12 and a discreet door bell.

There's no passing trade, but the lack of signage adds to air of history and mystery.

When the door opens, you are transported into another world, an entrance hall, that although was cold (given the amount of snow lying around in Hawick, there was no surprise) it had a feel of magic.

Donna, the owner is a bubbly Geordie and one of the best hosts I have met for a long long time walked me upstairs, introduced me to one of the other guests and then showed me the dining room/lounge before taking me to my room, the former bank cashiers office.

My reaction as we walked up the tiny wooden staircase, was WOW, this guest house has been transformed, the decor is modern yet preserving the history of the old bank as well, and we hadn't got to the room yet!

Large double cast iron bedstead with a tempur mattress, cushions and pillows everywhere, but tasteful. The decor was silver, black and a pale green in this room, with a lovely huge armchair, flat screen TV, with Sky and a DVD player.

The bathroom, although on the small side, did have an enormous shower with French Connection toiletries, very nice toothbrush holders etc and proper toilet roll not cheap crap.

White towels and soft, and I mean soft towelling dressing gowns, oh my god!

I had a great nights sleep and then breakfast, again, wow, fresh orange juice, cooked to order breakfast with local produce from the Borders and decent coffee. Oh yes, breakfast is served at the time it suits you, Donna works to your timetable not the other way around.

So, if ever you find yourself in the Borders and you need somewhere to stay, contact Donna at the Bank Guest House in Hawick, in her own words, redefining B&B, you won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

subrosa said...

It's the people and the care they take that makes the difference between the average and the extraordinary.

My standard was always 'would I want that for myself?' But then I'm 'old school' in the days when service was just that and staff were valued and respected.

Related Posts with Thumbnails