Reevesey's recommended reading

Friday 26 February 2010

Anyone But England

I can hear the screams from Cowley Street already, calm down dears, its only a headline.

Slanj, a kilt firm in Aberdeen has found itself at the centre of a racism row after selling tee shirts with anyone but england on them for the 2010 world cup in South Africa.

Let's all calm down, I think they're great and its not racism its banter between the Scottish and English over a football game, please let's keep it in perspective.

Thankfully Grampian Police, who visited the store have said no racism complaints have been lodged.

Slanj are selling two designs, now both only available online, one as in the picture, which I photographed from my Metro this morning which is anyone but england and the second which reads Algeria, USA and Slovenia Supporters Club.

Roll on the world cup!
------------------

3 comments:

Martin Veart said...

Free publicity for a Scottish company. Lucky them!
On a more serious point, there is a nasty side to the anti-English sentiment. If a UK home-nation team is playing against foreign competition, most English supporters will support the British team. This is not reciprocated.
I'm half-English so take it all with a pinch of salt. (Besides, I can't recall any football team coming around my place of work to offer me encouragement and support.) But I know of quite a few England fans who will never support Scotland again after discovering the real antipathy that some Scots hold for England.

Keith Legg said...

I always find it quite funny that English supporters are so jittery about people who don't want to support them!

For the record, I'll be supporting France (despite thinking that Ireland should be there) for the prime reason that they have the best wine.

Anonymous said...

THE USUAL SCOTTISH SOUR GRAPES BLOWING INTO ALL OUT RACISM AND VIOLENCE AS WE PROGRESS THROUGH THE CUP, I LIOV EIN ABERDEEN AND IF RECALL THE LAST TOURNAMENT A DISABLED GUY WAS DRAGGED FORM HIS CAR AND BEATEN UP FOR HAVING A SMALL ENGLAND FLAG ON HIS CAR, OF COURS E THATS NOT RACIST EIHTER IS IT PEOPLE?
ANYWAY MAYBE I'LL WEAR AN 'EVERYONE BUT SCOTLAND (MANAGES TO QUALIFY FOR A MAJOR TOURNAMENT EVERY NOW AND THEN' T SHIRT, THEN AGAIN MAYBE NOT..SCOTTISH FOOTBALL...YAWN.....

Related Posts with Thumbnails